Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bok Choy Stir Fry

I got this recipe from The Steamy Kitchen website. I have to admit that I have had some bok choy mishaps. In the past, my bok choy has been flavorless or soupy and just plain unappetizing. But, I was attracted to this recipe because Jaden Hair (the women behind The Steamy Kitchen) totally knows what she's doing and the recipe was quick and had a short list of ingredients.


I made some slight modifications to The Steamy Kitchen bok choy recipe. I decided to separate the leaves from stems and chop them up. I have found this to work with other types of greens. I thought this would make them cook quicker and make them easier to eat. I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the garlic because I like a little kick to my greens.


I turned this simple stir fry into a full meal by putting the stir fried bok choy on top of a bed of rice with a fried egg. I sprinkled it with a bit of chilli garlic sauce, toasted seasame oil, and soy sauce. This is not your typical meat and potatoes meal. But, it is very healthy and very satisfying. I hope you give it a try. You will not be sorry.


Boy Choy Stir Fry

Ingredients

2 heads of bok choy
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce

Start by trimming the stem off the bok choy. Separate the leaves from the stems and chop the leaves and stems into 1/2 inch pieces. Finely minch the garlic with a microplane grater. Place wok or frying pan on your stove and pour in the sesame oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Turn the heat to medium-high. Let the garlic and red pepper flakes sizzle in the oil. When the garlic and red pepper become fragrant add the bok choy leaves and stems. Toss very well to coat the leaves and stems with the oil mixture. Pour in broth, cover, and lower to a simmer. Let cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt, toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce.

If serving with rice and egg

Take one scoop of rice and put it on a plate. Put greens to the side of the rice and place a fried egg (or two) on the other side of the rice. Sprinkle with chilli garlic sauce, toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce to taste.

2 comments:

  1. what kind of chili garlic sauce do you use???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Kum Kee makes the chilli garlic sauce that I use. Careful, this stuff is seriously addictive!

    ReplyDelete