Monday, June 14, 2010

Green Garlicky Tofu and Spinach

I got this recipe from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook by Jaden Hair (she also has a great website and blog also called The Steamy Kitchen). When I saw a large bunch of spinach in my CSA box last Thursday I knew I had to try it out.


The ingredients are fairly simple as is the technique. I used green garlic instead of the regular garlic that was in Jaden Hair's recipe; because, I had a bunch of green garlic from last week's CSA box and I wanted to see how it would taste in comparison to garlic. The flavor was garlicky but a more delicate garlicky flavor. It tasted a bit grassier -- like spring in garlic form.


Just before digging in, I added a little more soy sauce and some chilli garlic sauce to taste. I love the prepared chilli garlic sauce that you can buy in the Asian section of most grocery stores and in Asian markets. It is so good that I fear that one day I will skip making the food and just eat the chilli garlic sauce from the jar with a spoon.


Anyway, I hope you enjoy this simple healthy dish.

Green Garlicky Tofu and Spinach

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (plus more at the end to taste)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 dash of ground black pepper
1 dash of sugar
1 teaspoon high heat cooking oil
3 cloves green garlic
1/2 lb spinach
salt to taste
One 16 oz block of extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 green onion, sliced

In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, water, toasted sesame oil, pepper and sugar. In a wok or large frying pan, add the cooking oil and green garlic and turn heat to medium-high. Heat oil until garlic is fragrant. Add spinach to the pan and mix the garlicky oil all over it. Sprinkle salt over the spinach and cook for 30 seconds. Add tofu cubes and pour the soy sauce mixture over. Turn the heat to low and let cook for 1 minute. Add soy sauce and chilli garlic sauce to taste. Sprinkle green onion on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment