Saturday, May 29, 2010

How I Learned to Love the Beet



I am a beetphobe. I have an irrational fear of beets. I admit it. I know that it's strange that csagirl would not like such a beautiful and well liked veggie. Well, to be honest, beets freak me out. They turn everything a bloody gory red. They are like the serial killers of the vegetable world.

So, when these beauties appeared in my CSA box I wasn't sure what to do. I was out with some friends the other night and I confessed to my friend, Kerri, that I was a beetphobe and I needed to face my irrational fear of beets. She had several ideas. When she said the words, "beet chips," I knew that I was ready to face my fear.


To make beet chips I preheated the oven to 375 degrees. Then, I peeled and thinly sliced the beets. I used a mandoline to slice the beets so that they were really thin and all the same width. Then, I drizzled olive oil on them and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I baked the chips for about 15 minutes on one side then I flipped them and baked them for about 10 minutes on the second side.


I took them out of the oven. I sprinkled a little more salt of them. I took a deep breath and I took a bite. They were great! I have been cured of my beetphobia.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha - you crack me up! The serial killers of the vegetable world indeed. But they are kinda gory that way, aren't they? And don't even think of looking at your pee the next day. It can be shocking after your first full beet experience. These chips look awesome. I'll have to try them. But I don't have a mandolin. Hmmm.... Old veggie slicer will have to do.

    ReplyDelete