Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Gypsy Peppers and Onions

I had some elaborate plans for these pretty little Gypsy peppers that were in my CSA box.


But, at about 6 p.m. last night I got hungry and lazy at the same time and I started to look around my fridge. While perusing the contents of my fridge, I sauteed the peppers with some onions in olive oil -- always a good start.


I had a lot of my Pie Ranch eggs left over from the last 2 weeks and I felt that I needed to play a bit of catch up before I get more eggs this week. I also had a lot of grated colby jack cheese, salsa, and tortillas. So, I put the eggs in a bowl with a bit of milk and some salt and pepper and whisked them. I put them in the pan with the peppers and onions, scrambled them, and then added a handful (or two) of grated cheese.



I put some salsa on the eggs and I served them with some refried beans and tortillas. These eggs would also be good with the Balsamic Roasted Fingerling Potatoes that I posted earlier this week. They are good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And, feel free to substitute other types of cheese -- goat cheese, gruyere, mozzarella, fontina, or any cheese that melts well would work with this recipe.


Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Gypsy Peppers and Onions

Ingredients

4 gypsy peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of olive oil
6-8 eggs
6 tablespoons of milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 - 1/2 cups of grated colby jack cheese

1. Heat the olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and the onion and sauteed until the veggies are soft.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes (until the bottom is slightly set). Then move the eggs around the pan. Add some cheese while the eggs are still runny. Finish cooking the eggs to your taste. I like mine cooked all the way but still light yellow. Add some more cheese at the end, allow it to melt, and serve.

Serving suggestions: You can serve these eggs with refried beans, salsa, and tortillas or they would be good with the Balsamic Roasted Fingerling Potatoes that I posted earlier this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment