Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chicken & Cabbage with Soy and Balsamic Dressing

I have to admit that cabbage is a challenge for me. I'm not really sure what to do with it; so, I went to the library and browsed through cookbooks. I checked the table of contents of various cookbooks and read their cabbage recipes. It was a pretty sad and uninspiring experience. CSA girl firmly believes that there is at least one great preparation any vegetable. Cabbage is no different. Then, I found Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking by Harumi Kurihara. I was a bit intrigued by Ms. Kurihara because she has been called the Martha Stewart of Japan. Then, I saw the photos of cabbage in her book. The photo for this recipe sold me. In the photo of this dish the cabbage was a glimmering light green cloud floating ethereally beneath the chicken. Is that really cabbage? I need to make this!


First, I cut the chicken into small pieces and marinated it in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and black pepper.


Then, I cut up the cabbage and cooked it in a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a tablespoon of butter.


At this point, I was wondering if this beautiful vegetable in my pan was really cabbage. Yes, it is cabbage! And, I should have made more.


I fried the chicken in about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. I think you could use less. Next time I would use 1/2 tablespoon or less. The skin from the chicken and the marinade coat the pan nicely; so, you don't need to add much oil.


I served it with some steamed rice. And, made some kid's plates.


This was a big hit with my whole family. I think you may be seeing quite a few of Ms. Kurihara's recipes on this site. I am amazed at what this woman can do with a humble cabbage.

Chicken with Soy and Balsamic Dressing
from Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking By Harumi Kurihara

Ingredients

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, sliced
coarsely ground black pepper
1 lb boneless chicken thighs skin on
a little sunflower or vegetable oil
a few basil leaves -- to garnish

For the sauteed cabbage:
1 cup (or more) cabbage
1 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
salt

1. Put the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Cut the chicken diagonally into bite-sized pieces and marinate in the mixture for about 30 minutes.

2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken, turning halfway to brown both sides. It will take about 5 minutes to cook each side.

3. To make the sauteed cabbage: Roughly chop the cabbage into large pieces. In a wok or frying pan, heat the oil and butter, add the cabbage, saute until cooked, then lightly season with salt.

4. Place the cabbage on a serving dish and arrange the chicken on top. Pour over any remaining sauce from the chicken pan and garnish with basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment