Sunday, August 15, 2010

Zucchini & Corn Tacos

As I was perusing my CSA box, I noticed that I had some zucchini this week and I realized that I have not made my favorite taco recipe in awhile. This taco recipe is a good base for any seasonal vegetable you feel like eating. You can top the sauteed veggies with any cheese (I have used cheddar, monterrey jack, colby jack, and goat cheese) and then just add garnishes -- cilantro, avocado and salsa are some of my favorites.


I learned this method from my son, Simon, who learned it at school from his friend's mom (and my good friend), Juanita. Juanita made these for our kids as their pre-school for snack. When I picked Simon up from school he demanded to make them at home. He rattled off all the ingredients and when we got home he showed me how to make them. Juanita's recipe is for quesadillas. As Simon remembered it -- she put the corn tortillas on a baking sheet, spread a bit of melted butter on them, sprinkled cheese on them and then let the children add other toppings. Simon had olives on his quesadilla. Then, Juanita put them in the oven to melt the cheese. I told Juanita that this has become a family favorite and she told me that this is the way the taquerias in San Jose (California) make their quesadillas.


I have modified the recipe by adding more veggies and toppings and so what I make resembles a taco. You can call this a taco or you can call this a quesadilla. Either way, this is just plain good and a quick, delicious way to use a variety of seasonal veggies and locally produced cheeses. If you check out CSA girl later in the fall you will probably see this recipe using squash or sweet potatoes, greens and goat cheese.


Zucchini & Corn Tacos

Ingredients

1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 limes
kosher salt
8-10 small corn tortillas
1 tablespoon of butter, melted
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other cheese you like)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
salsa (optional)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened. Add zucchini and corn cook until softened. Squeeze the juice of lemon over the veggies and cook for about 2-3 minutes.

3. Place 6 tortillas on a baking sheet. Brush each tortilla with melted butter. Sprinkle veggie mixture and cheese on top. Bake in oven for 3 minutes until tortilla is warm and cheese is melted.

4. Top each taco with cilantro, avocado and salsa (if using). Serve with lime slices.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a flavorful and quick weeknight meal. I will have to try this soon. Also under csagirl how about ... Eat local yum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CSA girl,
    I am so glad yur son insisted you make these, as we have now been introduced to it too. I too am getting a lot of courgettes, so this would be a grand way of eating them, and liking your idea to use this way of eating tacos with other seasonal veg.

    ReplyDelete