Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sesame Miso Chard

Several months ago I was listening a podcast of The Splendid Table and there was a story about various things to do with miso. It made me hungry and interested in trying miso; but, I wasn't sure where to start. Then, a few weeks ago I checked out a cookbook called Vegetables! By Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson and I found a recipe for Sesame Miso Spinach. So, I thought to myself, why not try Sesame Miso Chard. I have already done a million things with chard -- let's try some miso.


I took this beautiful rainbow chard from my CSA box and separated the leaves from the stems.


Then, I made the miso dressing from the Vegetables! cookbook.


It was very easy to make. Just mix miso paste, hot water, soy sauce, and ginger in a bowl. I used shiro (white) miso. There are many types of miso. Shiro (white) miso is supposed to be mild so I thought that I would try it out.


Then, I sauteed the chard with vegetable oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.


I added the greens to the bowl with the miso mixture and coated the greens with the miso mixture. Finally, I added sesame seeds and served it with brown rice and tofu.


I recommend combining the chard with some bland foods like rice and tofu or grilled chicken or fish and then mixing the chard with all the other ingredients. The miso sauce on the chard has a lot of flavor and works well when combined with bland foods. Try this out and let me know what you think. Also, let me know if you have any experience with miso. I am up for some further experimentation with this flavorful ingredient. It adds a meatiness to the veggies that makes this a very satisfying meal.

Sesame Miso Chard
adapted from Vegetables! by Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson

Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 bunches of chard
1 clove of chopped garlic
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons of miso paste
1 tablespoon of boiling water
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp grated, peeled fresh root ginger
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds

1. Wash and partially dry the chard. Separate the leaves from stems.

2. Combine miso paste, water, soy sauce and ginger in a bowl to form a smooth, thick sauce.

3. Heat a oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and allow to cook for about 30 seconds -- until fragrant. Add the chard and coat with the oil mixture. Cook uncovered for about 3 minutes and covered for 3 minutes. When the chard is all wilted it is ready to be tossed with the miso sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment