Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pizza with Rainbow Chard and Cremini Mushrooms

I got this vibrant rainbow chard in my box last week and I can't believe I haven't eaten it yet.



Also, I bought a couple balls of pizza dough from my favorite pizzeria -- Howie's Artisan Pizza in Palo Alto. I had one dough ball left and I know that this dough is best eaten right away. So, I decided to try an experiment. Would chard taste good on pizza?




I rolled out the dough, brushed it with garlic infused extra virgin olive oil, and then topped it with shredded mozzarella and fontina cheeses.


Baked it in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.


I sauteed the rainbow chard and cremini mushrooms. I set the toppings on the table next to the pizza.


I topped my pizza with chard and cremini mushrooms. Chard is good on pizza! And, it is even better with sauteed mushrooms. I also like the idea of making a plain cheese pizza and then setting up a topping bar where everyone can choose their toppings. What a great idea for a party! Now I just have to think of a cocktail to serve with it.

Pizza with Rainbow Chard and Cremini Mushrooms

1 ball of pizza dough
Olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
red pepper flakes
1 bunch of rainbow chard, stems and leaves separated
1 -2 handfulls of cremini mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 lemon, sliced
salt

1. Place pizza stone in your oven on or near the bottom. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put about 1/4 cup of olive oil in a small bowl with 2 chopped cloves of garlic. Let this stand for about 30 minutes so the garlic can infuse the olive oil.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add 1 clove of chopped garlic and a bit of red pepper flake into the pan and allow to cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chard leaves and toss with the garlic oil mixture. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes -- until leaves are cooked. Take off cover and cook for a few more minutes. Take over burner and sprinkle with salt. Squeeze a slice of lemon over the chard. Transfer chard to a plate or bowl.

3. Clean out pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and heat over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds -- until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and the juice of one slice of lemon.

4. Stretch or roll pizza dough into desired shape and size. Place on a pizza peel or pan. Brush garlic infused olive oil over the dough. Top with mozzarella and fontina cheese. Bake in the over for 8-10 minutes -- until cheese is melted and crust is light golden brown.

5. Top the pizza with the sauteed chard and mushrooms or slice pizza and allow each person to add the toppings they like.

2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting, do you think this might work with kale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sauteed kale in exactly the same way and it was really good. I think it would work nicely on the pizza. I think you could also experiment with different mushrooms. Wild mushrooms or portobello mushrooms would be nice.

    ReplyDelete