Thursday, October 14, 2010

Salsa Fresca

I had some tomatoes left over from my last CSA box and a serrano pepper.



I was at the San Mateo Farmer's Market this morning and bought cilantro, lime, and red onion. So, this dish is made of all fresh, local ingredients! Good work, CSA girl!


The important thing about salsa is to keep tasting it and tweeking it until it tastes the way you like it. I like a lot of lime, salt, and cilantro in my salsa.



The only way to really taste the salsa is to dip a chip in it and then adjust the ingredients until they taste right.



You can serve this tacos or you can just eat it from the bowl with chips. Quick, easy, and totally local.


CSA girl confession: Ok, I haven't revealed this in my prior posts; but, I do use my children's place mats as a cutting boards. They are great for this purpose. They are easy to clean, flexible, good for cutting veggies, and fun to look at.

Salsa Fresca
from smittenkitchen.com

2 cups of chopped tomatoes
1/2 large red onion, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon minced raw garlic
1 serrano pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Combine all the ingredients; but, only add 1/2 the serrano pepper. Taste (preferably using a tortilla chip) and adjust seasoning to your taste.

2. Let sit for 15 minutes or so before serving to allow the flavors to blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment