Monday, October 4, 2010

Tacos with Gypsy Peppers, Corn, and Summer Squash

I had some gypsy peppers, corn, and summer squash in my refrigerator along with some Bulgarian feta cheese. And, I thought these ingredients would make a good taco.



I am also currently obsessed with making tortillas at home. I really enjoy making them and they elevate this recipe from just another thrown together meal to something delicious.



My secret to making tortillas at home is not much of a secret. I just follow the instructions on the back of the MASECA bag.



I tried many times to make tortillas, consulting many sources, and just failed miserably. Then, one day I was at the supermarket wondering if I had it in me to try to make tortillas again and that's when I saw the back of the package. I followed these simple instructions and now I can have homemade tortillas any time I want by just adding water and salt to the dry masa and following the instructions.


Of course, you don't have to make the tortillas at home to enjoy these tacos. I topped the sauteed peppers, squash, and corn with some chopped avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Yum! Dinner in less than 20 minutes. Just make sure you make a lot of these because everyone will want seconds, thirds, etc.

Tacos with Gypsy Peppers, Corn, and Summer Squash

Ingredients

6-8 homemade or store-bought corn tortillas
2 gypsy peppers, seeded and cut into strips
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
2 small summer squashes, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
kosher salt

1. Melt butter in a non stick pan over medium high heat. Add peppers, corn and squash. Cook for 5-10 minutes until softened. Sprinkle with lemon juice and season with salt to taste.

2. Meanwhile make tortillas according to MASECA bag or heat store bought tortillas.

3. Top tortillas with sauteed veggies, avocado and cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment