Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kale Chips

My sister told me several times to check out the kale chips recipe at www.smittenkitchen.com. The idea of chips made out of kale did not appeal to me. Then, last night, I was browsing The Smitten Kitchen (as I often am) and I decided to try the recipe.


I had this really nice lacinato (or dinosaur) kale from my CSA box. It had been several days since I got the kale and it was getting slightly limp so I thought that making it into chips would give it some added crispness. This recipe is really easy. You just separate the leaves from the stems.


Chop the leaves into bite sized pieces and sprinkle them with olive oil and salt.


Pop them into a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (until crisp) and then enjoy! These chips are really great. They would be fun to serve at the beginning of a party with some wine or beer. They would also be a great after school or play date snack. Just make sure you make a ton of them because they will be devoured quickly.

Kale Chips
from smittenkitchen.com

Ingredients

1 bunch of kale (lacinato kale works well)
1 tablespoon or so of olive oil
kosher salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Separate the leaves from the stems. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bake in the over for 10-15 minutes until crisp. Sprinkle with a bit more salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like them! I sometimes cook them with the stems attached and then serve in a tall thin glass... I saw a picture in bon apetit with the chips like that. Love a splash of lemon juice at the end too!

    ReplyDelete