Saturday, July 31, 2010

Farro, Pesto & Cherry Tomato Salad w/ Roasted Chicken

Farro, Pesto & Cherry Tomato Salad

So, several weeks ago I took a cooking class with the great Joanne Weir. She made this farro, pesto & cherry tomato salad that I really liked. When I saw a huge head of bright green basil in my box I knew I needed to make this salad.



Farro is a grain that has a nutty flavor and a crunchy texture. It is really wonderful in this salad. And, easy to make. You just boil it like rice or pasta.


If you can't find farro, I think you could use rice or risotto. But, I highly recommend you find some farro. I also substituted almonds for the pine nuts. I just happened to have some almonds around and I thought they would work out. I served the salad with a roast chicken.


A Word About Roast Chicken

A roast chicken is a beautiful thing to behold and very easy to make at home. A year or so ago, I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen that had me convinced that there was no way that I would ever successfully roast a chicken. They had a two day recipe and you had to do strange things to the skin to make it crispy. I was exhausted and demoralized just watching the show. But, then, Martha Stewart showed me the way. Yes, Martha is intimidating and if she were coming to my house I would probably have a nervous breakdown worrying that she would notice my lack of window treatments and army of dustbunnies. However, if you want to know how to perfectly and simply roast a chicken -- Martha is your woman.

In her book, Great Food Fast, Ms. Stewart has a simple and delicious roast chicken recipe. It helps to buy a good chicken. I have had good luck with Rosie's chickens from Petaluma. They are local and they raise free range organic chicken. This beauty is a 3 1/2 pound junior roaster.


So, this is super easy. You wash the chicken. Then you push the wings down into the body and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Slather it with butter, generously sprinkle it with salt and pepper and pop it into a 425 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes. Now, don't get cute with the chicken. I got all cocky and tried to stuff my chicken with herbs and lemon and all manner of thing. It just didn't work out as perfectly as a simple butter and salt and pepper preparation.


When you take this beauty out of your oven anyone who is in the vicinity of your kitchen will be impressed and will demand a piece immediately -- even the most dignified guest may drool.


My kids lost their minds with this bird came out of the oven. I think they were glad to have a break from mom's usual veggie experiments (don't worry reader I will never give up on my veggie experiments). Anyway, make roast chicken at home! It is a great meal and everyone at the table will be happy. And, try the chicken with the farro, pesto & cherry tomato salad. This is a winning combination.

Tuscan Farro, Pesto, and Cherry Tomato Salad
from Joanne Weir

Ingredients

2 cups farro
1/4 pine nuts, toasted
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus a bit extra at the end)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 cups various colored cherry tomatoes, halved
Basil leaves as garnish

1. Place farro in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Let sit for 20 minutes.

2. Drain the farro. Place the farro in a saucepan and cover with water by at least 2 inches. Bing to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the farro is tender but still crunchy, 15-20 minutes. Drain and cool.

3. In the meantime, place the garlic, basil and Parmigiano in a blender or food processor. Process until a rough paste is formed. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and process until the paste is smooth.

4. In a large bowl, toss together the farro and basil paste and mix well. Add the pine nuts and tomatoes and gently stir together until just mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and some really good extra virgin olive oil. Serve garnished with basil leaves.

Serves 6

Easy Roasted Chicken
from Great Food Fast

Ingredients

1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
2 tablespoons of butter, at room temperature
Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen twine (tuck wings under the chicken, if desired, for a neater presentation). Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan (or on a rimmed cooking sheet).

2. Rub the chicken all over with the butter; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh (avoiding bone), 45 to 50 minutes. Serve, or let cool before refrigerating, up to 3 days, covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment